The key to keeping your wool rug look bright, beautiful and as good as new for the longest time possible, is to take the appropriate care for it, by cleaning it regularly, deep cleaning it periodically, and knowing how to deal with the different types of stains which inevitably occur in every house. But given the proper care, wool rugs can last for decades.
Here are some of the basic tips on how to take care of wool rugs safely and properly:
- Don’t ever use a vacuum cleaner with a beater bar or brush bar to clean the wool rug, because this can cause abrasion and shedding of the wool fibers of your rug. Instead, you should use a canister vacuum or the handheld attachment to safely clean your rug.
- Vacuum your wool rug regularly, so that you remove all the dirt, dust and residue from the surface before it gets pressed into the fibers. By using the appropriate attachment or vacuum type, thoroughly vacuum your wool rug at least once a week, and more times, if you have a pet, small children or an allergic or asthmatic person at home.
- If you have the necessary means to take your rug outside and beat it or shake it – then do it!
- If there is a spill on your wool rug, it is essential to blot it out immediately. Use a clean cloth or paper towels and carefully blot out all of the excess liquid. Don’t scrub! Mix a little wool cleaner with lukewarm water and dab it on the spot with a clean cloth. Then use only water on a clean cloth to rinse off any residue.
- To protect your wool rug and prolong its life, it is recommended that you use a rug pad underneath it. This not only makes the rug feel softer but also protects the rug backing from possible abrasions and damage from the flooring underneath it.
- For deep cleaning, it is highly recommended that you hire a professional carpet cleaning company to handle it.
- Never attempt to steam clean or use hot water to clean your rug carpet, because remember what happened to that favorite wool sweater of yours when you washed it at high temperature? Yep, it now fits your kid’s teddy bear. The same will happen to your wool rug if you attempt to steam clean it.
- What are the Benefits of Eco-friendly Green Cleaning? - February 20, 2020
- What Method of Carpet Cleaning Is Best? - February 20, 2020
- Make Your Cleaning Routine Eco-Friendly & Zero-Waste - February 12, 2020